I am a bit late with my posts on the things I have learned, as I was traveling so much in the last three weeks, but here I am – back again!
I have learned so much during the travel fair I have visited, but I fear that going too much into detail would be too boring.
So here are some fast facts:
1) Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan are the new interesting markets for the luxury travel industry, as there are more and more people traveling with a great budget. This was really new to me. So interesting!
2) Turkey is an interesting market as well. This is not such a news for me, but it was good to see so many interested Turkish travel agencies trying to find some new, luxurious destinations for their clients
3) The Knickerbocker Luxury Hotel will open its doors on NYC Times Square in 2015 and it must be amazing! Stay tuned for it!
4) Barcelona has over 200 hotels and meeting facilities
5) Spain ranks third globally in hotel rooms
6) There are 46 airports and 2 heliports in Spain
7) Five Spanish companies can be found among the top 30 most important hotel groups in the world
8) The best discovery in Barcelona was the most delicious Tapas Bar Cervezeria Catalunya
9) Don’t forget your slippers if you sleep at NH Calderon
10) Do always ask for window seats, but especially if flying to Barcelona
I would like to conclude this post with a travel tip:
Always do the online check-in if the airline offers this service. Flights can always be overbooked, that’s part of the airlines strategy, and if you are unlucky and arrive a bit too late (and this “too late” is very flexible, depending on the cases) your place could be given to another person.
This cannot happen to you if you have already checked-in before.
Have safe travels and… never stop learning!! 🙂 Pinkvel
Back from the EIBTM Business Travel Trade fair in Barcelona, I would like to share some of my experiences with you. I will write a post on the official travel news soon, but first: let me give you some insights in my experiences in this wonderful city, together with some travel tips.
It is not too much information as I literally spent all my days in the fair, but some basics that could be interesting, especially if you go for business and you have a hotel close to the Rambla Catalunya area.
What to say about the Barcelona Airport? It is one of my all-time favorites! New, bright, clean, friendly and full of beautiful shops and good restaurants. It is nice to arrive in a friendly environment. On my way back I always count some time more to spend at the airport to do some shopping and eat something. You see… this is a good way to keep the business going in an airport.
Perfect also for layovers.
Transfer to the city:
I took a Taxi. They have a fixed rate to the city center, which is 27 €.
As I have been to the fair before, I knew that it is a bit far away from the city center and for this reason I chose a hotel which is a bit farer away from the fair but in the center, in order to be able to go out in the evening without any problem.
I have been to the NH Calderon.
The location is great as it is on the Rambla Catalunya. The rooms are a bit dark, but functional, especially if you are just coming for a fair. If you are lucky, you can even get a room with view of the Sagrada Familia Cathedral.
I had a little dispute with them as I did not have any slippers in my room and when I asked for them they told me that only Suites and Junior Suites get them. There wasn’t any chance to get some, even by asking to buying them! They just said a cold “no!”.
There are few things that really do disturb me… this was one of them. How can you deny some slippers to a client? How can you deny ANYTHING which is perfectly possible for you to a client? Without even saying that you are sorry! Ok, maybe I am too extreme, working in the hotels business myself, but I guess they had an uncountable amount of slippers and they just denied them to me.
So please, if there is any hotelier reading this: tell your staff to at least kindly explain to the guests asking for something why you cannot help them.
And then please: offer slippers in your rooms, at least per request. Slippers mean “come in and feel like home!”.
But to get back to the point: functional, good position, buffet breakfast was fine. Perfectly ok if you are there for business.
A fun business hotel is the Barceló Saints. Location is not as perfect but the metro station directly under the hotel is strategically perfect. It is a strange experience to stay there as it looks like a spaceship and you completely feel like in space. The windows, the furniture, the amenities… it’s just like being in space. Even the welcome note says “Welcome on Board” 🙂
If you prefer very elegant, traditional luxury hotels and have a higher budget, then I recommend the El Palace. Part of the Leading Hotels of the World.
Fira Gran Via (Barcelona fair):
My arrival to the Barcelona fair in the morning was easy as the EIBTM organized some shuttles from the hotel, but a taxi only costs 10 € or you can use the metro.
Food & Drinks:
First of all, let me tell you about the best Tapas restaurant I have ever been to: Cevezeria Catalunya (in Carrer de Mallorca, 236). Every day it is full of people and the atmosphere is great. You can sit outdoors or at the bar on the entrance or inside the restaurant and enjoy the best tapas and great cocktails or a good Spanish wine. We asked the waiter to bring some tapas suggestions and after them, we ordered some more!
My suggestion is to reserve a table the day before or you will be put on a waiting list with a waiting time of around one hour that you can use to stroll down the Rambla. Talking about Spanish wine:
I have been suggested by different Spanish people to drink white wine from the Barcelona region. Often the Restaurants have a house wine. And in fact, the white wine was always great!
On Rambla Catalunya, 33. A more stylish restaurant, celebrating the art of food.
The specialty here are the 50 different Sangrias as you can combine different wines, even good Cava wine with different kind of fruit combinations. We had a good Cava with Berries.
Mas Q Menos
Nice little tapas bar, perfect to enjoy a good glass of wine with some small things to eat or sandwiches.
Oh one last thing:absolutely ask for a window seat when flying to Barcelona! I had the luck to have a late afternoon flight and saw a wonderful sunset from my window. The view of the Mont Blanc was amazing and when we arrived, the sea was colored in yellow, orange and purple by the sunset and the boats of the fishermen were just too romantic.
It is the end of the week again, and the time has come to write down what I have learned…
1) The first thing that comes into my mind is that I have learned what the Liebster Award is, as I have been nominated (read my post!)
2) Thanks to the Liebster Award I got to know many great travel bloggers still in their beginnings. Some of them are really worth following! Check for the Liebster Award!
3) Not only my online friends brought a smile to my face. I have learned that friendship is something really special and does not depend on space or time. Actually, I did not learn that only this week, but it came to my mind again this week. You can be best friends also if you are in two different parts of the world. I love all the technology that allows me to be constantly in touch with my friends, and of course I love my friends! 🙂
4) I am very close to my 1000 followers on Twitter!! It was one of these numbers that came into my mind as a goal when I started the blog. This taught me that I am actually on the right way. I am so happy about that, thank you all!! (If you are not following me: hurry up and help me reach #1000!! 😉 ) Here is the LINK!
5) I have learned that it makes no sense packing the clothes you do not use in everyday life. We all (talking about women 🙂 ) have some “special” clothes we do not wear in everyday life, waiting for the occasion to use them, which could be a trip to somewhere special. Well, forget it! If you loved that pullover so much you would find any occasion to wear it. So, avoid carrying too much useless weight!
6) I am expecting many changes to the city of Milan, due to the EXPO 2015, which is very exciting. But of course one of them is the unavoidable increase of the hotel rates. What I actually found out this week is that the prices have already been increased, not only in Milan but also in the rest of Italy. Bologna is the city with the highest increase. My advice: If you know that you will travel to Italy in 2015, try to already book the hotels, in order not to have a higher rate later on.
7) ESA’s Rosetta mission soft-landed its Philae probe on comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko, it is the first time in history that something so extraordinary has been achieved. And what are the people talking about? About champagne landing on Kim Kardashian’s huge butt! I sometimes really cannot believe what I read! -> Here
8) Friends, my suitcase is packed, I will be flying to Barcelona to the EIBTM Travel trade fair! I will be soon reporting about the news in the travel business and, why not, also about some nice places to visit while on a business trip to Barcelona.
I am looking forward to your comments & thoughts! Have safe travels wherever you are!
I know, I have not posted too much in the last time. Not because I do not think about you anymore. It is just a kind of blockade. As some of my friends out there know, I have been to Santorini in Greece in September. It was so relaxing … you can easily recognize in this picture 🙂
And somehow I still feel like this.
I came back with 1000 ideas on what to write about and as soon as I was back home… it was too much for me to put down in words. I needed some time to realize and order my thoughts.
Straight away I restarted traveling for work and went to Milan, Rome, and some other cities… so that these impressions were added to the list of things I feel the need to tell you.
I am happy that my instagram followers have been with me in my travels and know that I did not stop. I’m still here… with a lot to write about!
So no worries (in case anyone out there worries, which would be very surprising! lol) – I think I’m back now.
My next trips? Barcelona for the EIBTM Travel Fair, Milan, Switzerland, Berlin.
Stay tuned! 😉
Pink(Tra)vel – Travel & Lifestyle Blog // Follow my adventures around the world!